Thread: Other Location Not Listed paypal gift option on sales.
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #42
jocko

Re: paypal gift option on sales.

Larry - I'm pretty sure I've purchased stuff from you before and it was a great transaction as I recall - and if you asked me to pay fees, I'm sure I paid them without even a question.

The main reason I asked my question above was related to a transaction with another member. After I committed to buying in the thread, I was asked to pay the seller's paypal fees in a pm - and for the first time this happened in a "$XX shipped" listing. So, it clearly wasn't $$ shipped, it was $$ + paypal fees, shipped. And I'd have bought it still if it were listed as in the latter wording, but anyway. It was a small dollar transaction, so I paid it with no questions. (Ironically, when the part arrived broken due to poor packaging, I was refunded just the part price, not the paypal fees. So, Paypal, you are welcome for my donation to your Christmas fund. Again, if the tiny amount is so significant that the seller insists the buyer pay it, then he should accept that it's also significant to the buyer - and refund it if the packaging was the problem (it clearly was). But I digress - this transaction was for peanuts, so not worth groveling over it, but the principle and how it evolved spawned my question).

Anyway, back to the main discussion that has developed here - when I am asked to pay the seller's fees after I've committed to buy a part in a thread, it puts me as the buyer in the weird spot of having to decide whether to continue with the transaction (because I REALLY want the part), whether to bail due to the added cost (on an expensive piece, for example - the fee amount is important to the buyer just as much as it is to the seller), or whether to bail on principle because of an after the fact added cost (as several folks above have stated they would do).

So while you haven't had anyone back out on you yet, I guess I have to ask why not just state "+shipping and paypal fees" in the for sale ad rather than just "+shipping" when it's clearly not just shipping?

I've heard several other sellers state they "just can't afford the fees - it eats up all the profit or they lose money" - but, c'mon now - quite frankly, it's hogwash, and here's why: The seller has COMPLETE control over the asking price, so if there is an absolute bottom or absolute amount of profit a seller wants to attain, why not just add 2.9% + $0.30 to whatever that absolute firm must have bottom dollar or profit is and list it for that amount? This way the seller gets exactly what he wanta without surprising a buyer with a fee after he commits. And NOBODY has ever said they won't buy if the seller includes paypal fees in the asking price (the buyer would actually never even know - they just would know the "real" asking price) or if the seller simply asked that fees be covered in the ad. To me, it just seems best to list it for a price that achieves what you want for a profit, period (fees included) or, at a minimum, state in the ad that the buyer pays the paypal fees. To do so afterward may not lose you the sale, but it just seems not quite right. And others have stated their opinion on the principle involved, so it must not be just my midwest upbringing spidey sense working against me. I don't think for a second that increasing the price by 2.9% or even just stating that the buyer must pay fees in the ad will cause a buyer to not buy, but in some cases - they won't if the fees are sprung on them after they commit.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with how we do business on here and I'll continue to do it with you and anyone else - as you stated, a buyer can ALWAYS back out before paying if a seller pops in fees after the fact and that's fine. I don't mind paying a seller's fees IF I know I'm going to have to - but it's not logical to think that you can't make the exact same profit on here if you pay your own seller's fees (that seems to be the recurring complaint) - you simply sell the part for an amount that ensures you get the profit you want, yes, a number that is (2.9% + $0.30) above whatever "that" number you want is. Just don't understand why it's kept from the buyer until after he's committed to buy in the thread.

Yesterday, I wrote a check to the DMV for a tag renewal. As I was about to lick the envelope, I read a note on the back in small print that said "add $1.00 to total fee if paying by mail". Big deal? No, it's what I expect from DMVers. But not what I expect here amongst friends. I had to tear up the dang check and write a new one. Ha.

Last edited by jocko; 12-30-2016 at 08:56 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote