View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
Step'67

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

Mine was a custom color. I took standard dip and mixed in Antique Silver Metallic pigment by Jacquard until I liked the color. Sanding to metal is absolutely not necessary. Dip is designed to be sprayed over top of existing paint, sanding to metal probably won't benefit any and kind of defeats the purpose of Dip. My ride was already in primer (I did some body work before shooting), so I wet sanded the entire vehicle to make sure it was nice and smooth, then shot it. As far as the "pro paint shop guy", I'd say he did it wrong. Yes if it was a matte paint, people have to understand that it will have a slight texture to it once dry, that's just the nature of matte Dip. If someone wants a very smooth and shiny finish, use Plasti Dip Glossifier over top. But from your "grainy" description, maybe didn't mix it before shooting, too hot outside, incorrect gun settings, too light of coats, etc. I've come to learn that people who claim themselves to be professionals at Home Depot, some are but most aren't, just my experience. Dip is different than spraying standard paint, so he probably just wasn't familiar with the process. The sample pictures of the speed shapes on Page 1 show properly prepped and sprayed dip of both gloss and matte.

One great resource is DipYourCar's YouTube videos. There are several where they go through the entire process and show the results in the end. To anyone looking to experiment with this stuff, or do an entire ride, I highly recommend at least watching a video or two.

Be sure to post any results, Dip on!