View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
Nomadicflyer

Re: 72 C20 Miss Olive

Hey Ed,
I only used the PPS system for the underside spraying. One thing caught me as I used it, the first time. The liner would draw down and provide product to spray in any position, but close to the end I'd see it trapped about half a cup of product in a fold of the liner as it collapsed. Turning the gun upside down and letting some air into the cup fixed it, but only if I wasn't spraying upside down. Besides that, it worked ok for me.

You're right about the mix. I'm pretty focused on getting it as close as I can. I use mix cups from the PPG supplier, and it seems to work pretty spot on. I used to live in Silver Springs, I can imagine you had issues with weather and humidity. Been a good couple of weeks, here in Omaha. I've counted myself lucky. So much to keep track of, between temps and humidity.

Between coats/batches, I've run a little cleaner through the gun, while I mix up another go. I'm always misjudging the amount of product I need, too much or too little. I'm using a Devilbiss Finish Line gun, and although I don't have anything else to compare it to, it seems to do everything that the videos said it should. I'm using a 1.5 tip on primer and color, 1.3 on clear.

Your paint looks great! I'd be happy with that, as well.

I have to sand down a paint ridge on the back of the cab, where my white/clear meets the primer below it... I didn't watch what I was doing, and didn't feather the transition the way I had planned to. The green will go just under the back window, higher than I had originally planned. At any rate, I have a paint ridge at the bottom of the white, and I need to knock that down before painting the next color. I think I'm going after it with 1,000 grit wet paper, hoping not to burn through the primer in the process. Does that sound about right?

Gotta head to Vegas, work on an Airstream. I won't be posting much, for the next two weeks. Time to pull the 454 from the motorhome, drop in a 502 and give the fuel companies reason to rejoice! It's a tow truck engine, so I should be able to pull anything after this!

Kevin
Nomadicflyer is offline   Reply With Quote