Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #651
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Ok, I went ahead and put two more supports on the back wall of the 54 cab. The 48 oil canned like crazy, so I'm hoping this will stiffen it up so that will stop.

IMG_0654 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

But my primary goal this week is to get the two rear fenders ready for primer and as little "bondo" (tm) as possible. I'm not a fan of filler if I can avoid it. Bad experiences as a kid with my first car.

So I cut the tails off of a fender that Jesse needed the center to repair the spare tire divot in one of his rear fenders and I worked on them first. There were welding repairs, dents galore, so here they are after a few hours.
IMG_0655 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
IMG_0656 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

They are pretty smooth. I can feel some areas that will need some filler if I use them, but they are pretty good.

I felt good enough about the work to spend the next 2 days on the riders side rear fender. Welding stuff.
IMG_0657 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Working with body hammers and a dolly to get out a crease and some dents.
IMG_0658 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

The following picture shows some old weld repair by a PO, and a cave in at the bottom I worked out.
IMG_0659 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

This is the old weld repair after some more hammer, dolly and then THANKS JAN, the shrinking disc.
IMG_0663 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

This one is of an area where I was using the shrinking disc in process. It is much better after more shrink discing.
IMG_0662 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Those two dents on the left were worked on some more and the old weld patch as well.

IMG_0658 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote