View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #70
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

It is time to get something done on the hot side of the head. I got the manifold surfaced (turns out it was very straight already). I mounted it up to the head with new gaskets and new bolts. Then I hung the turbo on it with a new gasket. When I inverted the manifold I created an issue with the oil feed line for the turbo and the drain pipe that returns the oil from the turbo to the pan. The oil feed line was fairly easy as the ends of the line are standard 5/8-11 thread (same as the nuts on 3/8" steel line). This lent itself well to adapting something to work in place of the stock setup.

I went and dug through my stash of AN fittings and line. I found a nice piece of braided line with a teflon liner, but no fittings--drat. Then I found a real nice forged 90 hose end, a nice straight end, a couple of 5/8-11 inverted flare to -06 adapters and then I found a piece of hose (silicone liner) that was about three inches too LONG!! We are in business!! I added them all together, shortened the hose and came up with this:

It clears everything very well and will work good. It even adds a little functional bling!!

Well, I have oil going to the turbo, but I need to get that oil back to the motor after it is used. The inverted manifold created another issue in the drain pipe. I had modified my original, but it looked like horrid crap when I got done with it. I/we could not find one that would work with my setup. I ended up getting one that was close, but quite a bit too long. I did not want to try modifying it the same way I did the first one (leaning over a fender at arms reach holding two pieces of tubing butted together at a certain phasing, then grabbing the welder to tack it together without moving anything is a bit tough with only two OEM hands). I got to thinking about it and got on the horn to Russ to bounce an idea off of him. He said he could make what I thought up. Basically it is a steel sleeve that I can use to position the pipe where I need it, mark it, remove it from the engine and silver solder it together. It worked way-slick!! The flange that bolts to the turbo is silver soldered from Cummins.

This is what it looked like awaiting solder:

So, now I have an exhaust manifold, a turbo (with oil feed and drain) mounted on the motor. All I have to do on this side is to figure out an air filter and hang the exhaust down pipe on the turbo.

I'm getting closer......