View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
matthew21lutz

Re: Ever done a T-56 swap onto a Gen I small block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Is your truck 2wd or 4x4?
It's a two drive with, as of right now , a stock 305, th350, stock gears(I have no idea what gears) and 32" tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Manual tranny's use clutches/pressure-plates; auto's use torque convertors.
A 700r4 would be the simplest way to get you that OD gearing (4spd auto).

If you want to swap to a manual just to have a manual trans, a 5spd would be better unless everything else in the drivetrain is set-up to utilize the 6th gear in a T-56. Heads, cam selection, intake, carb, gearing, & tire OD all will have an impact on mpg improvements vs. just swapping the trans (& not taking the other items into consideration).
I don't want a 700r4, the 5 and sixth gears is what I really want to be able to get the best millage as possible. As far as changing everything to go with it, that's why I'm asking, I need to know everything I'm going to need to make it absolutely perfect.

I've already got new intake and carb(Edelbrock Performer & 600cfm Carb) as the stock carb just flat out didn't work anymore and the intake was cracked. Was already thinking of either rebuilding the motor or getting a crate engine.

What would be the best to get it done right, as far as heads, cam, intake, carb, gears and od tire size? Again, I'm willing to spend the money and put the work in to get it done right, my step father will be helping me out, he's been a mechanic for 30 years now but, has never done a swap like this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
an NV3500 would be an easy swap.. not super strong, but fine for a dd.
It will be a daily driver but, this will be a work truck as well. I live on a ranch and pull 2500lbs to 8000lbs pretty regularly as well, so it needs to be strong.
matthew21lutz is offline   Reply With Quote