View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Russell Ashley

Re: Vintage Air Sure what?

I bought my VA setup in stages from a local VA dealer who is only about 3 miles from my house, so that is convenient. As already mentioned, the hoses come extra long and not crimped so that you can custom fit them to your application. You cut them to length, mark the orientation of the end, and have them crimped. VA will crimp them for you but you would have to send them back. My local dealer did it for me. The problem I had was following the condenser mounting and hookup instructions, and I did have to make some changes to their suggested procedure for doing it. Regarding the missing rubber grommets, I thought I was missing a couple of those also. I called Rob at VA and he said those were not intended to go where I thought that they needed to go, but he sent me three of them anyway. I like the look of my VA setup and I would recommend it to anyone who was considering buying one, but be aware that it does take some work and some thought to install it. If there is anything that I don't like about it it is the way the hoses are connected and routed behind the inside unit. It's tight back there and I found it difficult to make the last connections to the evaporator. I'd rethink that part if I were doing it again.
Another consideration, if your firewall is recessed any at all you might not even be able to get the unit up into position without modifying the lower edge of the dash in the glove compartment area. I had to modify my center outlet box slightly because some PO had made room in the center of my firewall to accommodate a large HEI distributor.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote