View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
roger55

Re: Vintage Air Sure what?

I'm fairly new to this forum but have spent years as an active member on trifive.com. Vintage Air has a pretty good reputation on that forum and there have been many, many of their members that have installed VA units in their 5,6, and 7 Chevy cars. Certainly, there are some complaints about a few things but they are well liked for the most part and most reports are excellent when it comes to tech-support experience.

I installed the VA Sure Fit Gen-IV (evap only) system in my '55 Bel Air. I thought the instructions were pretty straight-forward. I also thought the quality of the unit was very good. Not great but very good. Some of the wiring wasn't up to my standards and I did a couple of minor modifications. I also think the plastic side vents are very poor. I trashed them and installed original repros. Some people think the plastic center vent is bad too but I thought it was acceptable and am using it. Also, some people complain about the plastic defrost ducts but I thought they were just fine after a little trimming of the plastic to fit well.

I agree with Ogre that it would have been better to have posted about your experience after you contacted tech support. I think you expected a little too much and are being pretty hard on them. Of course you should have received what you paid for but give VA a chance to make it good. I believe they will. I do think they care about their customers. Good luck and be sure to report back. Btw though, it's not pathetic at all that they don't offer weekend support. You are way off-base on that.

I see that VA has just recently released the all-electronic, no-cable Gen-IV system for the 55-59 trucks. I am so happy with my no-cable Gen-IV system in my Bel Air, I think I may get one for my '57 3200. I bought my truck and it had a Old Air Products unit already installed in it. However, I just removed it today since I'm starting to restore the truck and I'm not very impressed with the qualty of the unit at all. I may consider selling it on ebay. The heater core was being used but as far as I can tell, the A/C was never hooked up under the hood.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote