View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #98
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
lot of work there... more than i've done in the last year... do you have a deadline?
Are you crazy?! A deadline? Personally, I think that as soon as a deadline is set, a project is doomed. What I have is motivation for the time being. That and I'm not nearly broke every payday like for so many years in the past. These things will nickel and dime you to death. For instance, I bet I spent $20 in paint, $10 in brake cleaner, $10 in small fittings, $13 for oil pan gaskets, $20 in new fuel line, $221 in sandblasting and paint of the frame, over $20 in a brake hose and I still need to fix the steel line it connects to, I probably lost a gallon of tranny fluid, that was new about 100 miles ago, the list goes on. That's just the past week or so. I'm selling parts to help offset stuff, but still need to buy headers and exhaust pipes, an electric fan control, alternator brackets and new belt, my throttle cable is messed up, my kickdown cable doesn't connect because the bracket isn't right for the edelbrock carb. I also need to get the gas tank filler figured out, I'm sure that won't be free either. And these are just the things to get the engine back in, done right and looking good. This was a running, driving truck a month ago.

I'm hoping to have the engine setting back between the frame rails by this weekend. Then work on the radiator support and exhaust. Hopefully I can put the cab back on in early July and get the bodywork rolling on that. Realistically, if I can have this ready for paint by next spring I will be thrilled beyond belief. If I can drive it in and out of the garage by fall, that would be awesome. If neither of those things happen, so be it. I just love working on this stuff.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote