View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #75
DWilbur

Re: 69 K10 From the Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
Little more done on the problem areas on the firewall. Just about ready for surface primer. The firewall had four locations that needed attention. Two of them were small patches of rust toward the top where leaves and debris build up created the issue. The other was in the passenger kick panel vent bottom housing. The last was the area where the parking brake attaches to the firewall. Both bolt holes were basically ripped and close to completely breaking off. On this I decided to take out a larger portion and replace the metal with new 20 gauge. I pre-marked the bolt holes on the firewall further out than where the cuts were to be made so I could get It lined up in the right spot. After I did all the repairs and drilled the new holes it fit perfect first try.

There was also a few areas on the firewall that had big runs in the paint from factor. I was able to scrape those down with a new razor blade and then feather out with a DA. Now that that part is out of the way I will be moving onto the backside of the cab for body work, then remove the front and back glass and get those areas ready for paint. The rest of the cab should go pretty fast since the rust areas have been addressed and there are only a few dings here and there to take care of.

I also included a picture of the door striker hardware. The rusted set is the passenger side and the drivers side after soaking over night in Evaporust.

Pict 1 - shows the issue with parking brake mount holes
Pict 2 - shows the repair
Pict 3 - shows the other side of firewall repairs
Pict 4 - overall shot
Pict 5 - shows the difference of soaking door striker in Evaporust over night
I'm in the process of putting my truck back together and the pick of the door parts shows me what the shims are for. now I can work on my door locks.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote