View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
oem4me

Re: Are all these early trucks noisy going down the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
Got the new clutch installed, went with a 12”. Everything bolted up just fine, trans slid right into place. Took it for a drive and it drives better than before but it still sounds like a Pettibone crane driving down the road. Damn, are all these trucks this loud? I know the clutch isn’t making noise, just seems like the trans or driveshaft is noisy.
When I first responded to your initial question, i kinda assumed you were talking about transmission noise, from the actual trans (SM420 4 spd). Regular road noise is not something that's ever bothered me. In fact, my three speed column shift truck and others with automatics are not that bad in my view. Sure these trucks are way louder than your average modern aero travel capsule that we all enjoy these days, but I rather like the "total experience" of a vintage vehicle. All my trucks are bone stock with the factory rubber mat and no insulation other than the factory installed felt and thin foam pad underneath the mat.
I honestly think heavily insulating the truck would detract from the whole thing, but maybe that's just me.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote