View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
dsraven

Re: Steering column - I don't know what I'm doing...

not adding p/s would def contribute a bunch of cash to the ifs swap budget.
don't disassemble the box, work with what you have
let me get this right, you have a new column. it has bearings at both ends like normal finished column would. you just need a wheel to install on it. the issue you want answers for is how to connect it to the steering box, correct?

if you have 3 on the tree shifter remove the linkages, wiring etc so the column is simply sitting in the truck held with the mount to the dash.
recip or zip disc the column several inches higher than you actually need above the box. cut it right off but be careful because there is a shaft inside a tube. the column tube is pressed into the box and the shaft is one long part integral to the gear inside the box so simply cut it off and remove the upper part of the column trough the cab, like normal steering columns would be pulled out.
now you can slip your new column into position and see where you need to cut off the old remaining column stub for best fitment to the new column. mostly the ones I have seen leave a couple of inches above the old box so there is room to work. there is a kit out there somewhere that has a DD u joint and a piece of tape or paper that you would put on the column shaft of the old box and it shows exactly where to grind off the shaft so the new DD u joint will fit perfectly. long story short, get rid of the outer tube as close to the box as possible so it is out of the way, then fix the shaft so a DD ujoint will fit. make sure to line up the new column steering wheel so it is straight ahead and then make sure the steering box is also centered and then do the grind on the old steering box input shaft so the steering wheel lines up centered at the end of the project. then all you need is a ujoint for the bottom of the column, some DD shaft with a slip joint in it and some time to bolt it all up. then the wiring and shifter job. do a google search for a steering shaft kit with slip joint maybe you will luck out. the new column should have a support at the floor and be mounted to the dash at the upper end so there would be no need for a support bearing in the middle of the new column shaft.
again, pics say a thousand words. post up what you are working with a get some better answers that way once we can see the project. lots of these trucks get the same treatment what you are proposing so you are re-inventing the wheel or anything.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote