View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Fought the urge but it was too good of a deal!!

Came home from the Canton car show the other week and this had just been listed on Craigs List.....3 minutes after it was listed I called. I asked a few questions of the 16 year old that was on the phone.....

Does it run?.........."no"
What engine?......."I don't know"
V8 or 6 cyl?.......... "I don't know"
Can you go pop the hood for me......."yes"
Ok?!?!? How many spark plugs?.........."what's a spark plug?"
1 valve cover or 2?.........................."what's a valve cover?"
Is the distributor in the back or on the pass. side?......."What's a distributor?"

At this point I was about done and I said....go open the doors and look down and tell me if you see any rust...He said NO...NOTHING...I said "Im on my way". It was 8:30 pm, I loaded the car trailer and headed back up to Woodstock. By the time I got there he said..:" We must have listed it too cheap because the phone hasnt stopped ringing and he finally had to turn the phone off. After I had hooked to it I replied....Yes...it was listed a little under value.

This truck was a 1 family owned since new, with title, 1970 C-10, V-8, 3 speed man. It was parked in 1994 under a tree when it stopped running.(For what reason we still dont know). Later model 305. The father of the 16 year old got it from his grandfather in 1973 . We spent about a day cleaning up crusty push rods and loosening up stuck lifters, added a master cyl., a gas tank from inventory, tires from stock and we have a running driving, good compression, stopping truck! The fender and inner fender under the battery is rusted out as usual but that's about it. Rockers, cab corners, kick, cowl and bed are all in good shape with only minor to light surface rust. I transferred the tags and insurance from one of the others vehicles so I can drive it around a while and see how the engine does. At this moment we plan to use the engine in our C-30 dump project and use the cab and front clip on our 1970 short bed project that will be coming next winter. That should just about exhaust all the inventory parts I have left.

No matter how bad you want out..they seem to keep showing up! I guess the only way to avoid it is to sell the trailer and turn off the computer!
Attached Images

1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by 72freak; 05-14-2010 at 01:35 PM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote