View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: NOS Set of hood hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Tony the thought crossed my mind at the time but I neglected to look at the rivets side by side. I’ll try to remember to post up a pic of my rebuilt hinges but my trucks are in storage. I took the OE hinges replaced by my NOS examples and had them rebuilt then phosphate coated for install on my k20 this spring. It’s true that the rebuilt hinges are noticeably stiffer.

Here’s the NOS hinge that’s now partnered up with that in post #2. This hinge was tight and didn’t require a rebuild. Note the thick layer of dust from years and years in storage. It’s old NOS imo and the rivets are more deeply furrowed than those in #2.
I'll have to see if I have a picture, but I believe my original rivets were exactly what's in that picture P. That hinge looks sharp. Phosphate is the way to go, I don't know a place. I'll pic of my replacement rivets and new finish, just dropped them off to the Ceracote guy today. I believe the replacement rivets are very similar or same your first picture.

The one NOS I've seen had small rivet ends and looked too perfect if you get my meaning. Looked like say a coin battery with a plus sign.

Washed the oil off my blasted hinges, at least they move now (yikes). With oil smooth as silk. The guy who rebuilt them recommends seafoam deep. One minute you're spraying the next can't even hold onto the can

If you think of it, I'm curious what the front of the front cross support looks like on a new-ish OEM hinge. There's a bow to it. Or at least better be, all four my hinges have it Perhaps the rear too, but the front seems most vulnerable to stress.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-17-2021 at 01:06 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote