View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
manimal

Re: Headlight Relay Upgrade

I wil see if I can locate the thread. But here is a run down...

Tools needs:test light,soldier iron/soldier(60-40),shrink tube,heat gun/lighter,wire cutters/strippers,(2)30amp Bosch style relays SPDT,female spade connectors,10g ring terminals,(2)inline fuse holders w/30amp fuses,small roll of 10g automotive grade primary red wire,14g balck primary wire for the ground,electrical tape and plastic wire loom. I may have frogotten something,but as you go you'll firgure out if you need something.
First off,DISCONNECT BATTERY,then unplug the headlight socket on the drivers side,turn on the lights and find the "LOW" beam wire with the test light, then hit the "HIGH BEAMS" and repeat. Mark each wire.
I strip back the factory wire wrapping about 12-18" BEFORE the driver side loght socket and expose the wires. Find the wires that you marked for the "LOW" and "HIGH" and cut them. Strip back the ends COMING FROM THE FIREWALL CONNECTOR,slide a piece of shrink tube onto each wire,then either crimp AND/OR soldier on a female spade connector. Then heat shrink the tube on the ends. That will plug into the #85 position on the relays.(mark your relays HIGH-LOW)
Now take and strip the other end of the wires you cut,slide a piece of shrink tube over and crimp AND/OR soldier on another female spade connector to those. Match the wire colors and plug into the #87 position of the relays.
Now take your 10g RED primary wire and run from the BATTERY + side terminal
across the radiator support to you relays. Instal a ring terminal on the battery end. On the relays,the position #30 is the power side. Take your inline fuse holders,install a female spade connector on ONE end and plug into relay(#30 position). Now strip back the other end of both AND the 10g RED wire from the battery and soldier all three wires together...DONT FORGET TO SLIDE ON SOME SHRINK TUBE. Now heat shrink the splice.
Now take the 14g BLACK primary wire(you'l need 2 pieces at least 8-10" long)and strip back both ends,one end gets a female spade,the other gets a ring terminal. This plugs into the #86 position on the relays and the ring terminals go to a GOOD ground.

And that should do it. Reconnect the battery,install the 10g RED wire to the + side terminal on the battery,and turn on the headlights and check. Good Luck.
I dont have a schematic drawn,but a few pics of the way I have done mine. Also I go to the wrecking yards and find the headlight harness out of another truck so I can position the relays where I want. I will cut the harness thats in the truck off at the drivers side connector then cut the "NEW" donor harness off back BEFORE the connector about 12-18", so I will have enough to play with.
If you pm me with your email I will send you pics of mine. Good Luck.
-Lance

If I forgot something,please someone chime in. Thanks
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT