View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #63
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon
Re: Project: GOOBER, 1971 GMC

jgammill I love the greasy pictures, brings back memories.

Back-in-the day, up in here ORGun (pronounced as one word)
We would Elk hunt on the rims of Hells Canyon (yep same one Evil Ka’nevil played around with). Well Elk hunting gets good come the end of November when temp’s at 23deg or colder and snow is falling. Most of these roads are clay and freeze hard for a depth of ~6-8” deep. A funny thing happens when the sun hits the open spots where the hills don’t shade, the top inch or two of clay melts and the underside remains frozen thus creating one of the most slippery surfaces known to mankind. If you roll around a corner and on to this you cannot stop rolling, if you do stop your rig will side off the side of the road, if you are able to hook your pass side tires on the uphill edge of the ditch and do manage to stop and step out your going to fall flat on your can. This stuff sounds just like your grease ?

{(Memory = Equals story}

We came around the Southeast corner on the backside of a ridge about 10:00 in the morning and the (SunnY) road was tore to Shiite, there was not a sq foot of that road that had not been ripped open with mud everywhere, where there was no mud there were burms, remember all in about 2” of mud right? Well It looked like a greased-up cake pan.

About 100 yards, in the middle of this corner on the down hillside there was six feet of a 12” steel culvert sticking out into the middle of nowhere, on top of the outward side of this culvert was a tandem axle house trailer with the front axle on one side and the rear axle on the others side. I did not say camp trailer & I did not say travel trailer, I did say house trailer. This was a house trailer of the type they used back in the 50’ or 60’s, we have all seen these ol’ green /white relics about 27 to 30 feet long and rounded downward on both ends. It was hooked up to a mid seventies Chevy 4X4 flatbed, it had one chain on the driver’s side and it was buried to the pumpkins, must have spun those tires for 20 minutes to have dug those craters. No one was around and the best we could tell it was a couple of wranglers moving down out of the high country for the winter and had gotten stuck.

Elevation at this location is 6,300 feet, the canyon that this trailer was hanging out over, swear to God, no exaggeration had to be at least 2,500 deep and the walls were vertical, that rig may have contacted tiara firma once before finding the bottom.

It taws the days before phone cams or internet, I would give anything to have that photo today.

Oh’ yea the wranglers ? The best we could tell they headed out cross-country looking fresh water (unfrozen) to clean out their shorts:

Remember they tried (~20 min) to pull that trailer off of the culvert, and it was hanging in mid –air.
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote