View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #65
Tikal48

Re: Harold's '48 S10 LS1 Build

FarmerSid,

The All Metal does sand out slower, and has a couple of more minor drawbacks.
* It kicks off quick, so I normally mix smaller batches. I have tried reducing the amount of catalyst, but I have had one mix that never kicked off. I wound up having to scrape and sand that batch off.
* Next is the catalyst color, it doesn't change the base silver color of the filler, so its hard to tell when you get it mixed well.
*Third, it is bad about loading up the sand paper on a DA sander. I have used paint prep and acetone to clean the surface of the filler after it has hardened, but it still loads the paper. I did find that when using a 5" sanding disc on a side grinder, I could rapidly shape the filler, and it would not load up the wheel.

As for its positive points:
*This filler feathers out very nice, especially for a novice such as myself. Since it did sand out slower, I found it easy to control the contours more. There are few flat surfaces on these "AD's", so this was a blessing.
*The All Metal is very flexible. As I understand it, this is the next best thing to lead.
*Its waterproof and primes out nicely. One light coat of epoxy, and you could not tell it from the base metal.

I highly recommend it, even with its drawbacks.

I have been following your '52 project for quite a while now. I just wish that I had seen it before I went with the S10 frame. I really like the C4 suspension that you went with. It's a nice looking build. Keep up the good work!
Tikal48 is offline   Reply With Quote