View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #77
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Thanks, guys! Gotta say I was sweating bullets right up to the big test.

The liftgate came back from the chemical dipper today. Good thing I built the box out of 1/4" oak wood. The gorillas at UPS had a good time kicking it around. However, the contents arrived safely and the part was nicely de-rusted. While I was waiting on the brown truck, I cleaned the latch parts I'll be needing to transfer to the opposite side when the time comes.

I plan to first weld/patch the parts of the liftgate that will show when it's open. The hidden panels and the non load bearing areas will probably get kitty hair or metal mender. The compound curves on some of the rotted places require tools I don't possess in my little basement shop. Thus I'll take the easy way out.

Used a thin cutoff wheel to remove a section on the passenger side of the liftgate, then made a pattern out of poster board and transferred it to sheetmetal. I have it all fit up and ready to tack in place. Will Tig it with silicon bronze rod so I can use very low heat. There are still a lot of places thinned out by the rust that tend to grow holes when the arc gets close to them. Hopefully, patience and copper backup will get it done.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote