View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #12
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Looking for 6.2 diesel nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gmcguy View Post
Thank you to all who posted tips on here. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been busy tinkering with this truck. Even took it four wheeling a little bit. I wish I had been patient and waited for the advice to use the AC Delco 60G plugs. The plugs that came in the truck luckily were not swollen, despite not working at all, but I made the mistake of buying the Autolite plugs and installing them. Upon first burn, they all swelled up and stopped working. The truck never even started with them, so there went $80. I had to buy a tool to remove the swollen plugs and replaced them with the 60Gs, and now, it fires right up. It even starts pretty well on a 35 degree morning.

So now that I've spent a bit of time driving it, I noticed that if it sits for more than 8 hours, it blows blue smoke pretty heavily for about 10-15 seconds when I start it. I wouldn't say it billows out, but it leaves a small cloud behind it. It seems to go completely away after running for a bit. The truck seems to make decent power so far as I can tell (good enough for a 6.2) but I've never driven one and have nothing to compare it to, so I don't know if it's fine or if it's down on power. When I see blue smoke, my first thought is it's burning oil, but after doing some reading, it seems like that's not always the case with these old turds. I've read that it could be leaky injectors, worn out timing chains, bad EPR valves, and some say "that's just what they do." I plan on doing a compression check as soon as I can to try and rule out bad rings, guides, etc. Based off my limited knowledge of diesels, I sort of think that there's probably nothing wrong internally because the truck starts pretty easily, which I think indicates it has good compression, but I'm talking out of my behind and truthfully don't know anything about these engines so I'm probably wrong. Any pointers on how to check anything else that might be causing this? Thank you all in advance!
Valve seals. If it only does it for a few seconds at start up and you are 100% sure it is blue and not white, it is valve stem seals. There is a way to change them with the heads installed. It requires putting air pressure in each cylinder while you pull the valve keepers out, but it can be done.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote