View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
padresag

Re: Transmission jumps out of 3rd gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin64 View Post
Reverse, 1st and 2nd are fine. I'd experienced 2nd gear being bad in an old ranch Jeep years ago, but it only came out of 2nd when you let up off the gas pedal....(that was fun going down hill!). But I thought it odd that 3rd would jump out, especially during accelleration, but I wanted to make sure this wasn't characteristic of the 3 speed. Ok, this gives me something to do this weekend....have my son move the shift lever in the cab while I watch from underneath and see what's going on.
linkage wear is a big factor. a little wear at each connection adds up
drop the gear oil out and see how much crap that is in the bottom of the trans. sounds like it could be a brg and if a brg is on the way out, you will see brg material in the bottom of the trans
the one that it may be though is bad eng mount on the left side,either frt or rear. the reason for this answer is throttle pressure in third gear, esp if you are going up a hill applying more throttle as you go up. this will make the eng rise up on the left side which a bad eng mount will do and in essence perhaps pull third gear out of it's detent and you find yourself in neutral
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote