View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #22
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: 1973 K20 Build Thread

I decided to order a new transmission dipstick. The original one was cracked and the tube o-ring was shot. I initially purchased a Hughes unit but it didn't fit right. Then I bought a Lokar 36" one and it was way too long.

I finally bought a Lokar Anchor-Tight dipstick and tube in the black anodized model. This should (better) be the fanciest thing under the hood. It is quite pricey, but at least I'll never have to worry about leaks. It screws onto the transmission dipstick hole (must remove the pan---good thing I hadn't yet put the fluid in) and it creates a positive seal. The dipstick has a quick release with bearings. You have to slide the silver part down to release it. You also don't need the "special" funnel adapter to fill the trans as the tube is large enough for a standard transmission funnel. It also has a quick release down where it mounts to the transmission. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend on a transmission dipstick, but oh well...

The dipstick doesn't look long enough in the photos because I am bending the tube, causing the dipstick to move into the tube.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 11-13-2010 at 12:49 AM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote