View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #92
Devillusion

Re: 60-66 Patina's or O.G. Painted Truck Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford66 View Post
Easy...paint it then let it sit out in the weather for 45-50 years. Sorry i couldn't resist. A "faux patina" paint job is best left to mother nature in my opinion. Hard to beat some of these "O.G." paint jobs, by the way og means original. Nice lookin trucks guys! Joseph
Well that would be all fine and good if you could find trucks up here in Canada that had the Arizona/Texas fade on the paint without the rest of the truck being completely rotten. And I have yet to see a decent looking patina on an 81-87 GM body style truck that was legit. And the fact that I am building a crew cab/short box which was never made factory, so finding an original survivor is pretty unrealistic.

I find the faux/fake patina just like any other custom paint job....you either like it or hate it. Whatever excuse anyone likes to use to go either way really doesn't matter to me. I don't find many flame jobs to get hated on when they first came around either...paint is paint. And in my experience and research over the past, the worn and weathered look of paint is much harder to make a decen job of than a nice paint job. Don't get me wrong, the bad versions are that...just bad. But I have seen some pretty impressive versions of them and they are sweet to look at the work and effort that went into them. There are some that are nearly impossible to tell at a glance.

Myself, I'm tired of the pretty high polished paint jobs. For myself they are a waste of time as I use my vehicles, drive on gravel roads, and haul parts and trailers with them. I've been there done that with full out show trucks/cars....time to move on to something more realistic.

..but then again that is just me. I want to challenge myself to try and pull off a good version of the above. I find haters will be no matter what you want to do with your ride....but then again maybe we should all just make what everyone else wants. That would be fun....lol. Joke.....

1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote