View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #130
58-GMC

Re: 1958 GMC Memorial Build

Hey Schrum - Thanks for the reminder to get back on here and post some updates. I've been working through a bunch of nuances with the truck but at least it is on the road.

I had a "falling-out" with the shop I hired. Too many empty promises, and now that I am looking over their work more carefully I am coming across more areas of concern. Mostly things that show a lack of detail and care.

Worst thing is that down the road I will need to pull everything off the frame to redo the powdercoat since the shop butchered the nice finish...But for now I have been trying to enjoy driving it. That almost came to an abrupt end on Monday though.

I drove the truck to work without issue but on the way home it was a different story. Made it about a third into my drive and heard a noise similar to that of a rock hitting the inside of the wheel well and underside of the cab...a bit louder though. Right after that the brakes on the front passenger side seemed rough while applying the brake pedal.

I chose to get off the road and into a parking lot. Got out and checked it over but didn't see anything out of place. Figured it must be behind the wheel where I couldn't see. Instead of risking a worse outcome I decided to have it towed home. Sat around for nearly two hours waiting for the flat bed, missed my kid's karate lesson, but ended up making it home safe.

Last night I took the passenger front wheel off and was hoping to find the issue. Well, I found it...

The brakes were literally falling off the front! Sitting around in the parking lot for two hours seems so much better when thinking about what could have happened. It appears during the build the shop neglected to add any sort of loctite to the bolts and one just rattled lose.

I am planning to check them all and add some loctite to ensure this doesn't happen again. I have a reliable shop scheduled to do a once over and check that everything else is as it should be.