View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: TIP converting non gauge (warning light clusters to gauge clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Yes, that wire does run through the bulkhead connector and was originally part of the front light harness. There is a factory splice inside the harness where several large red wires join together. The 4A fuse for this leg of the battery gauge (ammeter) wiring should hook to that splice. The wires going to the alternator can stay the same.

Here is a diagram borrowed from another post on this site (the splice is circled).

I agree. Using 4A fuses on the battery / alternator ends of the #1 & #12 wires will protect those wires in the event one of them is ever shorted to ground. The fuses will also protect the wires and the meter movement from trying to pass too much current should the "shunt" wire ever develop an open circuit due to a bad connection.

I believe they are called "bow" type terminals. In this case, I think a person could salvage the terminals off the brown (gen light) and dark blue (oil light) wires since those wires are no longer used with the gauge cluster.

And like Ewr101 said, Classic Industries does sell a kit that includes new terminals along with the plastic connector shell --> http://www.classicindustries.com/pro.../bw900216.html
Good stuff Ray, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I stated the voltage regulator at the firewall. What I meant was where it is mounted on the core support, not the firewall.

Take care,
Tom
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote