View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #61
bj383ss

Re: 64 C10 Stepside "Jaybird"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice looking stand!
Thank You. I have built quite a few engines on this stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
AWW! I wish I had you shop!
Thank you TJ. I feel blessed to have a big space inside to work and keep all my junk and cars. I wish my father in law could have enjoyed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
really like that old engine stand... hmmmm, i need to make one. its cool yours has family history and part of the cool factor is the wear. i'm one of those guys that typically restores everything but some stuff is best left as is. that thing is...

you got a great shop and some other interesting projects.
I agree with you on the about leaving things original but the paint is so bad that it leaves behind flakes on the ground when I roll it around. Plus my Grandpa wouldn't have minded if I paint it. He is the one who taught me how after all.

And yes my projects span different decades. The 79' Caprice is my first car and I have had it for 19 years. My parents bought it new. It has come along way from the 130hp 305 and 2.41 gears it came with from the factory. I plan to get it back roadworthy someday. LOL. The Camaro is my daily driver and the covered car is the 72' Cutlass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
100%
Thanks

I went out to the garage tonight after work as I was dying to crack open the 350 and see if the PO owner did things right. After I removed all the bolts from the oil pan I realized they didn't use a gasket just RTV! Also I think this pan is from the original 283 with the drain plug in the bottom.

Much to my surprise there was windage tray installed and it is a 4 bolt main. Finally something done right. I pulled the front cap and the bearings look good as well. Not sure if the crank is forged or cast.

This puzzled me it appears there is RTV between the oil pump and the rear main. Not sure why. I don't recall ever doing this on any of the engines I built.

If you look real close you can see the 4 bolt mains.

Its starting to get bare. Can't wait to get the cab repaired and off the frame.

Bret