View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #35
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

After getting the motor mounts cut from the frame, I tacked in my mounts for the core support and rechecked my measurements to locate the core support. I also jacked up the front of the '57 and got it settled in on jack stands so I could start the task of removing the front sheet metal. The easiest way to do this is to pull the front wheels and get up into the fender to get to all the hidden bolts that hold the front fenders, inner fenders, grille and valance together.

Since I am satisfied I have a good reference on the height of the cab mounts now, I took the Dodge frame off the jacks and blocks and set it back on its wheels. I tacked in my 1x2" box tube at the front, over the front arch and with the front of the '57 now disassembled, I was able to place the core support.

I had been concerned about clearance between the bottom of the radiator and the steering box, but after a little sheet metal trimming, there is plenty of room around the steering lines and gearbox. Also, with all of the sheet metal removed from the 1957's front, I found my measurements were close but not 100%, and picked up an extra 3/4" ahead of the front axle, (and away from the steering lines). Additionally, once the transmission was back to level, I found I have 31 1/2" between the bellhousing and the radiator.

My last measurement of the length of the engine, to the front of the fan was pretty close to 32", so I will not need to move the drivetrain back as much as I had anticipated, (5" initially). With any luck at all, I will get the engine back on the crane this coming week for fitment check. It looks like 2"-3" will be more than enough. At the same time, I will tack in the engine mounts to their new homes ahead of final welding.

If the engine only needs to move the 2"-3" that I expect, I will not need to have a new front driveshaft built. I checked it this morrning and found that as it sits static, (no load on the suspension from engine or body), to fully extended, I have at least 3" of expansion at the slip joint. This means that if I move the transmission and transfer case back 3" to make room for the engine, I will use all of the possible expansion, however, the weight of the engine and body will compress the suspension (and the driveline) about 2" roughly. Down the road when it is time to have the front shaft rebuilt, I will have it lengthend to account for the engine movement, but for now it should be fine, since this truck isn't going to be used as a rock crawler or anything like that, just a daily driver when I feel like it.

-Joe