View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #46
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Thanks M2D. I made a little progress the past few days (no pics yet though). I picked up the flare ends I need to shorten the rear brake hardline to match the frame, got the 3/16" plate steel I need to gusset the cab mounts and cut out and welded the gusset plates on the rear cab mounts. I am really itching to test fit the '57 cab to the Dodge frame now that everything is in position. The '57 cab is unbolted with the exception of the steering column and the wire harness.

I'm taking a week off to spend with the wife for our 20th anniversary, so everything truck related at the house will be put on hold for a week. Once we get back, I'm going to put the front wheels back on the '57 chassis and roll it out to where the shop is being built, so I can lift the cab from the frame. After I have the cab hanging, I will roll the Dodge frame underneath and can hopefully bolt the Chevy cab in place (for now).

It seems the other day, while fussing with the front cab mounts, I somehow nicked the Dodge wire harness with the grinder. At first I though a piece of slag from the welder had melted the plastic conduit over the harness, but on closer inspection, I saw exposed copper. I'm lucky that I found it now, rather than having to chase a gremlin. The damaged wires are the rear harness for the taillights, fuel guage, and fuel pump. The harness could stand to be shortend anyway, so in all it will not lead to any additional work. I have the soldering gun and shrink wrap ready.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote