View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #39
Beach-Burban

Re: Temp Gauge issue

While searching for additional threads on this topic, I read a number of posts that "might" explain the problem that some of us are experiencing. Apparently there is a consensus that GM temperature gauges for our trucks "changed" in 1979 and the new resistance values of the gauges required a temperature sending unit that had a different resistance curve. That could explain some issues if the wrong year sending unit was used. Additionally, a number of members reported that even when they ordered a replacement sending unit for the right year of their gauge, there was no certainty that the replacement would have an accurate resistance curve...and I guess that this issue was so widespread, that American Autowire started making a reproduction of the GM #1513321 sending unit with a precise resistance curve to match the 1978 and older gauges. I read enough success stories to situations that sounded so much like our issues, that I payed the $27 to have one sent to me. I'll let you all know if it was worth it!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote