View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
1978sierra

Help me with these 7 project tasks

Hey Guys,

I had another thread but it got jacked, and since then I have learned many a thing about my 78 C15. I have a list of things that I am trying to prioritize and am looking to this forum for help with the following. My truck is a 1978 GMC Sierra 15 3/4 tonne with a stock 305, 125000kms, at some point a mild cam was installed.

1. My quadrajet is pretty beat up I am having it rebuilt over Christmas. I will have to take it out myself, I have no idea how to do this. Currently, it's running ok but is running pretty rich to deal with the stall outs etc. I had a very reputable mechanic give me the rundown. His exact diagnosis was "carb in poor condition" - truck fires up well but wants to stall when I put it in gear until I gas it a bit, performance is poor until I can open it up.

2. I am leaking oil, not very much when sitting but seemingly more after driving around. I will replace the oil pan gasket, again I don't know if this is somethig I can do myself.

3. My temp guage reads 0 C at all times- I have no idea about this

4. My oil pressure is around 15psi all the time, does this seem low?

5. I need to replace the calipers up front as they don't return to open very well, I also need to replace the rear drum springs and the rear brake lines. Is this a DIY project?

6. My 'Fasten Belts' light is always on, however sometimes it'll flicker on and off for a bit before staying on, I have no idea why.

7. My wiper switch has 3 positions - Left is off, Middle is fast, right is off, push it in for fluid. I am assuming that there's a speed missing.7

For now I think that's it! I have a single car spot in an apartment building, so anything super complicated or needing a hoist I may have to farm out. Any advice on this stuff would be great. I should've paid more attention in mechanics class a kid, but this project is already one of the best things I have done for myself in years.
1978sierra is offline   Reply With Quote