View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #17
Tully

Over tightened lug nuts is a pet pieve of mine. I have been out on the road trying to change a flat when some nuckle head used a impact to tighted the lugs. When I tighten lugs I use a impact also but I don't over do it then I always check them with a little four way so I can get them back off on the road. Never had a nut come loose in my life. Well one time, I have an electric impact I use to use before I got an air one and it only had enough power to tighten a lug to where I got in the habit of not rechecking them. One day I was putting all four tires back on and the brushes went out of the impact on the last one. I went and took the impact apart and forgot to go check that last wheel. About a week latter I started getting a vibration and I was wondering what it could be and remebered that impact quiting on me and never checking the lugs, I was going to stop for gas in a few miles so I would check them then. Well I forgot and latter that day I was going about 70 on a gravel road slowed and turned a corner then bam the rear end went down and the tire passed me. I got out expecting body damage and no studs. To my surprise only one stud was broke and no body damage, I walked down and got my tire jacked it up, stole some nuts from the other wheels and was back on the road. Sometimes you get lucky.
Tully is offline   Reply With Quote