View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #100
mrhino
Account Suspended

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

I did the rear seats this past summer and fall. Here is how that process went.

The stock rear seat weren't in too bad of condition. but they have to go.

after removing the stock seats me and deb vacumed and scrubbed the floor with dawn and purple cleaner to get all the nasty crap off.
Tahoe seats are one piece. meaning the the bottom and back are together on one frame. so the seat will fold up and lay flat. Because of the rear humps this type of set up just wasnt going to work. I cut the seats in two pieces actually 3 different pieces. The left and right bottoms are now two separate pieces.
Working on the back first, I figued out how to mount the backs of the seats to the back raised section using a piece of 1/4 angle iron. drilled hole so it would bolt in to the factory seat mounting holes then welded it to the seat back frame.

I then made three pedistall mounts for the front part of the backrest. Leveled everything then welded those to the floor. I also welded lock nuts inside the square tubing, so the rear section could be easily bolted and unbolted.

I wanted to try and keep the folding up feature if at all possible. I cut off the piviot points on the seat bottoms and After carefully aligning I welded them to the floor.

the front piviot points have thru bolts which not only allows them to pivot but they can be removed easly as well. 6 bolts and the whole thing can be removed.
here is what it looks like all mounted in. Even the center armrest/cup holder goes up and down

with everything in place the bottom can fold up to either give access to space under the seat bottom.

When you unlatch the seat and pull it forward the cables then pull and releases the latch mecisisim for the backrests so you can get behind the seat or lay it flat for a little bit more cargo space.

because the seat belts were that tan color and they were for lap belts mad for the bench seat they had to addressed as well.
I end pulling some belts out of a dodge caravan at the local salvage yard. The color was a exact match to the center seat belt that was original to the Tahoe.

The truck had plugs in the c pillar for what looked like shoulder belt mounting but when I pulled the plug all I found was a hole no threads

I took a piece of 1/8 plate found center, drilled a hole and welded on a nut.

I marked the c pillar and then drilled a bunch of holes. Fed the plate with the nut up the pillar and bolted it in place and then welded each hole. Test fitted the belt, then ground all the welds flush and shot on some primer.

On the bottom I welded a piece of angle iron to the floor and then used the existing seat belt mounting locations to mount the last of the three mounting points

mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote