View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
Root2812

Re: Pre-LS swap questions

Just a follow up to my old thread. I pulled the trigger last night and snagged a complete 5.3 take out for $300. It came out of a 2000 Silverado. I've got a long road ahead of me but I am pretty excited about it. First order of business is to make sure its good. I was told it was good but you never know until you hear it run yourself. I haven't finished the chassis yet but when I do I can get this motor dropped in. Until then I will clean it up and do some maintenance. I'd like to swap all the gaskets and seals while the engine is on the stand.

I also snagged a free tranny and rear end from my dad. He has a towing service so sometimes junkers come in. My tranny is a 700R4 that was behind a v8 before. It should hold up for what I plan to do with it but I am going to have to get the crank spacer and different fly wheel to mount it up. I like that the mechanical speedo on the 700r4 will let me retain my original speedo. The rear end is a 3.73 posi with disk brakes and 31 spline axles. The rear end was also behind a v8 before and its a common swap on my year truck so I know it will work.

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep adding on to this thread as my project moves along.

And here is a picture of the truck its going into!