View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
mr48chev

Re: turbo 350 to 235 six

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
200r4 700r4 have a better first gear for low power engines
I'd have to believe that is the primary reason. Low gear on a turbo 350 isn't that low and the low numerical gears you need for highway speed being 3.0 or maybe 2. something with the 350 trans are a hard pull for a low powered engine.

In the end it comes down to two things. will the engine trans, rear axle combo let you accelerate at a reasonable rate without having your foot on the floor.

On the other end of the spectrum you need to have an rpm at highway speed that the 235 is comfortable with. With the 1 to 1 final ratio that means around 3.0 while and over drive trans should be able to run with 3.5 or 3.7 gears at the same rpm.

If you are driving the truck now you can stick a tach on it and see what rpm it likes to cruise at and then use one of the tire/gear/rpm speed calculators on the net and you can figure out what the desired final ratio needs to be.

I'm not going to argue the stick VS automatic as we all have our reasons for wanting one or the other be it that we think old trucks have to have three pedals or we can't drive a stick and have no idea how to push a clutch and move a shift lever at the same time. My 71 year old left knee keeps lobbying for an automatic behind the 292 and it just might get one if the knee doesn't feel better. I've got the 350 that I had in my 71 before I put the
Cad 500 in it and I have a couple of 400s that could be rebuilt. I've also got a nine inch with real nice 3.0 gears I want a 5 speed but my knee may win out.

This is an electrical vehicle chart but it is rather nifty because you can plug in variables and it will give an answer for the one you don't plug in. http://www.advanced-ev.com/Calculators/TireSize/ It doesn't give a trans ratio outside of 1 to 1 though.

This one shows rpm for auto, AOD manual and 5 speed OD that are somewhat accurate. https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote