View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #103
youngrodder

Re: 1948 Suburban - finishing what dad started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjburbs View Post
I've been tinkering around on the 48 the last couple of weeks. I painted the floor (front metal part was overlooked) as well as some of the brackets and misc pieces. Then I put dynomat on the floor and some insulation on roof. Seats were put back and I replaced a bad headlight switch, cleaned up wiring under the hood, and got additive in the rear diff (cleared up chatter when turning). Some other random things here and there. Speakers maybe over the weekend.

I took my 5yr old for a cruise around the country mile last night for giggles. He was all smiles and proud to be the speedo guy. We haven't got the real one setup, so he manned my phone for GPS speed. Probably gonna have to take my other kids for a ride soon now (oh darn, lol).

Burb is running OK. 2 things I'd complain about right now:
1. Brakes feel soft. Maybe a little air in the lines yet, and the pedal throw is super long. Going to check it out more with a real mechanic.
2. Once warmed up the LT1 idles rough/low and some acceleration isn't as smooth as I'd hope. Rebuilt engine, new optispark, plugs/wires, etc. Gas is fresh, so not 100% sure. Again going to have someone more knowledgeable take look. We'll see.

Also looking at couple new tires up front. Going a little taller than current ones for just bit more clearance with the front bumper. The fronts now are 10+ years of sitting around, so 2 fold on replacements. After that alignment and local cruising for shake down miles before Mom tries for Louisville in August.
Glad to hear you are out driving it. In my 48 I ran a 95 LT1. I know the Optispark got a bad rap but mine never gave me any issues. I did replace it with an AC delco one when I completed my restoration. Get the one with the small hook up for a vacuum line that pulls any moister from the Opti as this is what can kill them. Also for your rough idle, I suggest sending your injectors out to be cleaned if you haven't already. My motor sat for many many years before it was fired. Those injectors get gummed up. Mine lopped like a Harley before I cleaned the injectors. After it ran so much smoother.
Attached Images

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote