View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #115
Ben IV

Re: 70 gmc DIY build

With the front end finished up it was time to start on the rear. Rather than buy a flip kit I bought new saddles spring plates and U bolts for $88 shipped. I had bought cpp notches but decided to make my own since I moved the axle back one inch to better center it in the wheel well. Spring plates had 3 holes on 1" spacing which is why I went with 1" but looks just right to the naked eye. Once I got the axle flipped it became obvious that the shock mounts on the axle weren't going to work so I took a chance and bought shock extenders for a squarebody but they weren't even close to working so I decided to just make my own. I used the extenders to guesstimate how to make my template and made sure not to go past my scrub radius. I put new studs up top in the extra set of holes in the factory mount to keep the shock more vertical and used the stock length shocks. I also replaced the leaf spring and shackle bushings. I was worried the rear would end up lower than the front but it came out dead level.
Attached Images