View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
dsraven

Re: 1959 gmc wiring harness. What do I do?

if going that way, get a kit that will allow you a couple extra circuits for future use. if using a fuse box from a donor, same same.
-run relays for larger circuits like headlights, heater motor, electric fuel pump (if equipped), electric rad fan (if equipped) and horn (cause they tend to burn contacts).
-use a labeler to mark stuff like what relays are controlling
-make a wiring diagram as you go, then a nice copy of it all tidied up when you are done
-figure out draws on your circuits before you start so you don't overload
-figure out the capacity for different wire gage sizes so you use the correct size wire according to the load it will need to handle
-don't forget to run some good, large gage, ground wires from the battery to the frame and from the frame to the engine. also some ground wires from the battery to the body. whatever load goes out in the positive cables must also have the capacity to return in the ground cabling.
-bare the metal under the ground connections and use some star washers on the fasteners for the grounds. use some anticorrosion compound on the ground screws to help slow down the process.
-use some brush on electrical tape to slow down corrosion on these ground areas AFTER you have the wiring all completed.
-use double wall shrink tubing on any connection outside the cab at least. I use it on all connections but that is just me.
-have fun, go slow like a circuit at a time, you can do it.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote