View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #51
Autoblueprint

Lightbulb Re: 1972 Cheyenne Custom Camper 400bb with Mitchel camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevy72 View Post
I just bought this truck and need suggestions to get it ready to travel.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevy72 View Post
It has a 402 6.6 ltr a turbo 400 tranny 136,000 or 36,000 miles on it we arn't sure yet.
My 2 cents:

For now...forget about the motor home part.

Why?

Well, I looked at all the photos you posted of the engine...the truck has 136K on it...it's been my experience that with 36K the engine would be quite a bit cleaner...especially the carb.

Do yourself a favor...do a MAJOR tune on this engine:

Check compression ( dry and wet ) and record the results.

Replace spark plugs, spark plug wires ( you have acouple of non-HEI wires on there ), cap, rotor, coil and check the reluctor wires ( yellow and green inside the distributor for cracks or for being brittle...if they are brittle...bite the bullet and buy a re-manufactured HEI distributor ), replace ALL the coolant / heater hoses and thermostat, replace all the belts, replace the water pump, change the engine / transmission oil / fluid and filters, overhaul the carb ( make sure there is no play in the primary throttle shaft, if there is, take the base plate to a carb shop and have them re-bush the primary shaft ) and replace all the valve seals in the engine.

When you get done with all of this you will have a much better idea of the running condition of your truck and it will be much more dependable.

I know, this sounds like quite a bit...but think about being stranded somewhere with this beast...it will cost you a fortune for an emergency repair.

I would also pull ALL the wheels and inspect / replace cylinders / linings / pads and brake hoses as necessary.

Check your tie rods, center link, idler and pitman arms and ball joints for excessive play.

Check / replace axle bearings, pinion seal and diff cover gasket.

If you don't already have one...purchase a factory service manual to help guide you through the repairs.

Be safe and have fun.