View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
89AKurt

Re: Replica of my '69 (conversion of AMT '72)

I got the kit via Facebook Marketplace, for a deal, because it was built half decent, but needed paint stripped.

Kept the paint on the chassis and a few engine parts.

Filled ejection pin marks and sink holes on the bed.

Reassembled the engine.

Not going to go overboard on correcting and detailing the curbside, or promo style chassis. But did remove one of the exhaust pipes since the truck had one tailpipe. Solder crossover pipe.

Engine painted, and final assembly. Detail parts used in the picture.

Added a dip stick, and drain plug.

Added fuel line with filter made from scavenged electronic part. Modified the air filter to the aftermarket style, scribed vertical lines and added photo-etch mesh.

Turned a Mallory distributor.

Starting on the plug wires. Took liberty here, the real truck had black wires, I just wanted to use the red wire I had.

Manifold painted brown, and baking soda added over wet paint.

Pet peeve is floating accessories, made mounts from aluminum plate, photo-etch bolts added. Also made a thermostat housing, kit hose is not correct.

Made loom holders from aluminum plate (lower left, still on sheet), based on the '68 I currently own.

Truck had a 1 ton brake booster, turned on the drill press from Corian.

Wiring complete. I know wire shouldn't touch the manifold, but wanted a snug look.

If I wanted to never finish this model, would correct the engine bay, which needs it. But I think the detailed engine will be enough.