View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
fixit-p

Re: driveshaft and pinion angles

I know this is an old thread and the OP has since resolved their issues but since it's still helping others I'll add my $.02 to it. The important thing with multiple drivelines is to set the true angle (operating angle) of the first universal joint at ~1*-1.5* and since in the OP the trans was down 4* and the first driveline down 8* (4* operating angle as previously stated) the first driveline could be moved up either 3* or 5* (both would give the u-joint a 1* operating angle, up or down doesn't matter) lets say we went up 3* that puts drive shaft # 1 at 5* down (8*-3*=5*) and with the transmission still down 4* it gives us our 1* operating angle on u-joint #1. Now setting the rear end we want to set it up 5* so that the centerlines of drive-shaft #1 (not the transmission) and rear end pinion shaft are both parallel with each other. That makes the operating angles of u-joints 1 & 2 equal which is what I refer to as 0 pinion angle here's a chart on operating angles and life expectancy of u-joints and some goo reading in the link..
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote