Thread: 72 k20 project
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #245
ryanroo

Re: 72 k20 project

i took a few minutes/hours and cleaned all the scale, loose paint and dirt off the core support. i shot a good coat of primer on it and painted it. this part doesn't qualify as bodywork to me so it was a spray paint special. i almost send it to the powdercoater. then i decided that was probably overkill, and i may still have some odds and ends to weld on further down the road.

i also went to the JY and grabbed a hydroboost from a safari van. 1994ish. anyhow, from what i can tell it is the same length as the one from the K30 that i used in my jeep. there may have been a difference in the MC pilot bore, and i'm almost certain the push rod length is different. anyhow, the safari MC is a weirdo looking two reservoir thing that is made to accommodate the steep slant of the hood. i poked around and found a 94 K3500 GMC has a 1.25 MC bore and matches the safari booster in pilot and rod length. i assume it is the same booster that the hydroboost OBS trucks use. i ran into town and grabbed one earlier.

this is seen with my hack job quicky bracket just to get an idea for mounting. i am going to draw one later that i can cut at work and add some dimension to it for stiffness.

misses the AFC with plenty of room, but i think i may ditch that anyhow, so there will bee tons of room.

but i missed using the stock intake by this much. literally it may be all of 1/4 to long.

i may search out some other MCs. i think there may be a van version that is really stumpy. if i could use off the shelf parts for the intake that might be cool, even if i don't.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote