View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #357
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
That works. Another option would be using a pvc fitting and regular pipe cement for the initial fitting. They have threaded adapters, etc. that would work. It would probably be a short stub of 1/2" pvc which should be very close to a 3/4" fitting size. Not having A/C I don't have one to measure. Just my home plumbing experience and my job experience adding my .02
I'm not sure how well PVC glue would work mating PVC to fiberglass. I believe part of the reason the minimal threads worked was because of the strength of the threads on the steel bushing and being able to reef it in there pretty tight. As tight as I got it, I bet I would have rolled plastic threads, but then again, you never know unless you try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
FYI, that hose will plug up fast with moldy, slimmy gunk. Also, open tubes are in big invite to mud dobers in my area. The OEM tubes are made to self close to prevent bugs from crawling in. I wold think that a short roll of screen wire shoved into the end and pinched off would suffice on the bug prevention. Moldy gunk just has to be cleaned out once in a while.
I don't think the moldy/slimy gunk should be an issue here. Where you are, definitely, but typically we have a low humidity so when this gets shut off, it starts drying out immediately. Definitely a possibility I had not thought too much about. The only bugs I have to worry about are cutter bees. They cut out chunks of leaves and pack them in holes--any hole they can find. But either way, moldy gunk or bugs, the hose is easily removable, so if cleaning is required it should be a couple minute job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatterxlch View Post
Well I'm subscribed. Going to start my repower project end of the month in a 1971 Chevy K-20 a 93 Cummins, NV5600, NP205, Dana 60 & Dana 80. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.
My only recommendations are to read through the thread and figure out from what I did what you do and don't want to do or want do differently. Also, start a build thread when you begin--it helps, trust me. My only other recommendation is to use a different trans if possible. Those are good transmissions but they are out of production, the company that produced them has been dissolved and all the tooling for the parts has been liquidated. This make quality parts as close to impossible to find as you can get. Most of what is available is high quality Chinese grade parts. If you have one ready to run, go with it. If you have other options, you may want to explore those.