View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #33
Erik V

Re: Anyone have a K5 with tow hooks listed on SPID? CST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
Erik,
Do you know any info on the winch on your gmc? Reason I ask is I'm getting a blazer that has a cut in the front bumper shaped like yours. Like it had a winch previously.

Sorry to hijack Pete.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dad still has it in the loft of his barn. Its a PTO unit, I'd have to crawl under there and read the ID tag on the PTO module on the Tcase to know the brand (though he might). So when the truck was about a year old he cut that section of the bumper out and welded in the box for the winch. He carefully painted the new section black so it looked right. That box is also part of 1/2" plate that runs outer edge to outer edge the entire width of the bumper (didnt want to bend up his pretty chrome bumper). Then in early '73 he slid through a stop sign on ice, and got Tboned. The driver corner got mangled a bit, so after straightening he had the whole thing rechromed, thus making the tucked away PTO winch and rollers very factory looking. Fast forward 40 years and the winch is stored on a shelf, 2 of the rollers have rusted in place. He does have stories about winching himself backwards with the cable under the truck and out the back while also in gear to keep the tires moving. Craaaazy times the 70's must have been. He joked about between the winch, locked front/12bolt posi rear/those frame hooks there really wasnt much out there than he couldnt either pull, push, or drag. I hope to straighten the bumper out a bit rebuild the center section, and put it all back in as it was. Plus now that I see hooks in chrome, I kinda want those to stand out more too.
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote