View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Reported Post by Woogeroo - Forum: General Discussion - Reported User: JHT67

Ok, hopefully before someone gets hurt, I will type this out again.
Battery safety 101

Never disconnect the positive (+) side of the battery first.
There are 2 reasons for this, most important is the spark factor. Lead-acid automotive batteries give off hydrogen sulfide gas, a single spark can cause a serious explosion. This is also at least part of the reason that battery trays and the surrounding area corrode.
The second reason is that the entire electrical system is still grounded, meaning that the wrench that you loosen the positive terminal with is "hot". If the wrench touches the radiator support while still on the terminal? Direct short....ugly.

So how do you safely disconnect the battery?
Simple, remove the ground (-) wire from the frame, block, head, wherever it is attached. This moves any potential for sparking away from the battery itself. You can't eliminate the spark, just control where it happens. So once the ground is removed you are "safe" to go ahead with any other repairs, including removing the battery itself.
Re-installing goes in reverse....re-connect the ground to the frame last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote