View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
Wgesnerjr

Re: Steering Stabilizer for 2WD

Thanks for all the ideas.

This has been a problem since I restored and put it back on the road. (I never drove it before as I got it with no engine)

During restoration, I put brand new American Racing rims, brand new Cooper Cobras, Freshly turned rotors. Wheels torqued to 100 Ft/Lbs as per American Racing. Torqued again after 100 miles. Driveshaft was balance at a drive line shop and new u-joints installed. Stock springs and new shocks. I did add a factory front sway bar. Original 85 steering box.

Once on the road, it took me a while to get it on the freeway, but noticed the vibration right away. Had alignment checked and tires re-balanced. Still there next time i was on the freeway. Used a different shop for another check of the alignment and balance tires again. Still there.

I too would rather not mask a problem with the stabilizer. Don't want to spend the money anyway.

We did the turn the wheel thing again today and I did see the upper part of the steering box/frame moving side to side. I am wondering if this is the same type of stress big 4WD tires put on the frame? I have read where they can fracture the frame near the holes. I do not see any cracking but I suppose the movement could contribute to the vibration.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project

Last edited by Wgesnerjr; 02-03-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote