View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
ThreeQuarter

Rear coils and alignment

When I assembled my '68 C10 coil rear suspension I bolted the axle to the control arms last, after loosely connecting the panhard/track/locating bar. With the suspension hanging, I noticed I had to pull both trailing arms a couple of inches to the driver's left to get them to line up with the axle. No big deal I thought, because when I get more weight on the rear the panhard will shift everything back into line.

Now that I have the rear end resting on the ground and everything torqued, I can tell the springs are still not happy where they're sitting. The bottom of both springs are skewed to the driver's left. Even if I bottom out the suspension, there isn't enough lateral movement in the panhard to make the springs look vertical. I made sure all four spring ends rested on the trailing arm/frame, and I aligned the clamp's notch with the spring end. Original panhard, trailing arms, axle, frame...new springs.

So...I'm thinking it's the way the springs are made--the way the ends sit on the trailing arms & frame when they're clamped down that makes them want to not sit plumb. Maybe I can loosen the top & bottom spring clamps an spin the springs to find their sweet spot?

Anybody have similar experiences with new springs? Mine are HD C10 springs.
Attached Images

ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote