View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #20
sprint_9

Re: Pre-Start Concerns... Gen 5 sat dormant for 3+ years

Happy to help.

If I remember right I closely inspected each valve to make sure it was closed first, you dont want anything falling into the cylinder. From there I taped off any that were open and then soaked the others down with carb clean and let them soak a few minutes. Then I used a copper gun brush on a rod to get down into the port and try and knock anything loose. I would try to soak up any large chunks with a paper towel or suck out with a turkey baster. When that was done I soaked them with carb clean again and let them sit over night. I used enough carb clean to cover the just valve, the port walls will blast off pretty easily since it isnt baked on as bad.

The next day I knocked off the remaining with the gun brush, sucked up and dried out any extra carb clean. I then taped off all but one cylinder and used a blow gun to blow any left over debris out and vacuumed everything up. Finished up all cylinders I had started on then I rotated the engine by hand and started work on the ones left.

My truck was hard to start so that prompted some research and I found out about the valve coking issue, since cleaning a couple years ago its been alot better starting. The worst part about the whole thing was getting the intake off, there was some stupid clip in the back that was about impossible to get un snapped.
Attached Images

sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote