View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: miSSed opportunity

Moving on to the front half of the HVAC system conversion to R-134a and to the 1994-up grille.

The core support is slightly different on the 1994-up vs the 1988-93 models so it had to be swapped out to use the 94 grille that I wanted to use. Slight differences in the way the bumper filler panel attaches too. I liked the looks of the inset ribs on the 94-up vs the 90-93 sport version where the whole surface is flush. Gives it more character.

Couldn't find a 94-up style grille specific red & black bowtie for sale when I needed one so I made my own. Looks OK but I will put a real one on there after paint. Found a few places that sell them now, just need to buy one.

Installed a new 1994 application R-134a accumulator, condenser, supply & return hoses and orifice tube. All new O-rings with PAG oil on them prior to install. Also installed a new big block auxiliary electric cooling fan and thermostatic switch. I figured out why these things are usually seized up when you find them at a wrecking yard. They spin in the wind even when the truck isn't running. Those poor bearings never get a break.

I made the mistake of putting a new aftermarket A/C compressor on there too. It seized up in just under a year with minimal use. I completely flushed the system parts and pulled a vacuum on it for an hour with my electric vacuum pump. Tested that it held a vacuum for a week before filling then filled the system with the GM specified amount of PAG 150 oil and refrigerant so there is no reason what so ever that pig should have failed. They had the balls to tell me that the warranty was void because I didn't pay a shop to flush my system out. Needless to say I bought the parts to rebuild and re-seal the original AC Delco compressor off the 94 K2500 that was leaking around the housing and spurred me on to replace it. Retard. Won't do that again. Now I have to pull the orifice tube out and trash it then flush the whole system and start over with a new accumulator because there is most likely debris from the POS compressor in the lines that will FOD out my freshened up AC Delco part if I don't.

Put a new set of black trim headlights and front turn signals on too. I liked the way they looked but in function the headlights suck. The light pattern they create is horrible compared to the other aftermarket headlights I have on my 98 Tahoe and even the stock headlights I had on my 95 K3500, hazy lenses and all. I will be swapping them out for a better set soon.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote