View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
ctandc

1984 GMC Sierra Classic - Delilah

I didn't name it / her. Don't ask.

Picked it up a few weeks ago.

Guy who we bought it from had it less than a year. Paper / warranty on the rebuilt 700R4. Originally a 305 truck - engine is supposedly a Jasper replacement.

Truck was painted sometime in the late 90's. Driver's rocker needs done, but cab supports and floor are great. Some rot in the bed wheel well arches, but the lowers and all look fine. Might be some stuff hiding, but isn't bad at all.

Brand new BFG AT's (32's), originally Rally wheels with rings and caps. Had antique tags on it, had it up on the lift and got it inspected no problems. From just a quick look - the front brake calipers are new, the RH gas tank is new and some other things have been replaced.

Inside is pretty nice, except for a bench seat so work out on the driver's side that I (I'm 6'3" FYI) have to use a firm pillow to sit on or I feel like I'm sitting on a milk crate.

Gas pedal is REALLY stiff. Turns out someone installed a newer Edelbrock carb, but the factory throttle cable is just a tick too short. Bolted up to the carb linkage, it takes a firm throttle return spring to counter act - thus stiff pedal. Just ordered a replacement throttle cable that is @ .75" longer which should fix that.

Old girl runs and drive really nice. 2" blocks in the rear on what look to be factory leaf springs + shocks with the coil over 'helper' springs make for a stiff ride - at least unloaded. I've got some decent shocks on the way just to let it ride a bit better.

Looks like it had a pretty good rear main seal leak - but apparently the transmission shop installed a new one. Doesn't seem to be dropping any oil now at all - but we shall see.

Also came with a brand new HEI distributor and MSD wires. I'll do those when I likely do a "top end" refresh. On the hunt for a cheap Edelbrock or other intake, maybe some new valve covers and air cleaner.

Look forward to picking all the brains here as I slowly go through this old girl.
Attached Images