Thread: GPS - again
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Re: GPS - again

For a handful of years me, my friend John and one or two others would go to an off road race another friend ran his '69 Blazer in up in the PA mountains. The first time I got directions off the computer and wrote them down. We found the place just fine. The next year John was all worried when I told him I didn't bring directions. I told him now I know where it is. Every turn he would doubt me, suggest we try the other way, and I even had to let him take a wrong way just to see he was wrong. But we rolled right in to the same entrance on the same road near the same town. He was less nervous the third year and we went straight to it. Now John and his friends live in the suburbs of the city and they do things differently.
After going several years, always finding it because I remembered the route and all the landmarks, he brings a friend with his GPS. I'd tell John we need to take the next right and this guy would say "My GPS says we can take...". I said right there "Either we are going by my directions or we use that GPS. But if we use that GPS I can be no help". Well, they wanted to use the GPS and I had no idea where we were going. We get all screwed up and they would ask me. "I have no idea where we are. Never been here". I told them if they want my help we would have to find our way back to where we started using the GPS or find someone to ask directions. We saw someone and I asked directions. That got us back on a road I knew and we found the place. I think that guy was playing with his GPS the whole time trying to suggest other ways to go but I ignored him.
Going home and on the interstate he counted my directions with that gizmo and it had us taking the long way around Harrisburg when my turn had us skirt by the whole city.

It was country rural logic vs suburban gadget dependency

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote