View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
jocko

Re: T5 swap & driveshaft length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
I am surprised there is not a chart made up of the varies drive shaft lengths for our trucks
I am not there yet but looking at putting a 5 speed from a 96 c1500 into my truck build
There's probably not a chart because every truck is different - the amount to cut is not simply the difference in trans lengths, it depends on the suspension, ride height, etc. Driveline shops generally ask for the straightline distance from the rear tailshaft HOUSING face (not the output shaft) to the center of the rear u-joint - as measured while the truck is weight-on-wheels. Then they do their math and cut - provides appropriate slip yoke engagement amount and ensures it won't fall out when the suspension is unloaded when one gets airborne over the RR tracks - or, more likely, binds it into the rear of the trans when the suspension is compressed (when one lands )

I've noticed that driveline shops (or at least the ones I've dealt with) don't tell me how long it's supposed to be after I give them my vehicle's measurements, until they have it in hand and start choppin. Probably a good business model or folks would be sending in their measurements, then chopping and welding at home. Personally I'd always use a trusted driveline shop, no matter HOW good I might think my welding is... They generally do a much better job cutting, welding, and balancing than someone who only does it every once in a blue moon - money well spent.

If you are measuring a ds from one someone else cut for their trans swap - and EVERYthing else is the same - ride height, tire sizes, rake, and of course trans & rear - you could probably get close enough to cut yourself and be ok. But I truly think it's worth letting an experienced driveline shop do it, in which case, knowing the exact length measurement they are going to cut it down to doesn't matter, they do it and you're good to go. I don't like spending $ or farming out work on my trucks either, but sometimes, it seems to be a good idea.

FWIW, $350 is only a little more than I paid about 10 years ago, but not much. Seems reasonable to me.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote